July 7, 2013

First Day of Preschool

 I knew the day would finally come that she and I were both ready for her to start school and it did.  On Tuesday, April 9th Annabelle had her first day of preschool.  There were a few tears from us both but mine were a mixture of sadness and happiness.  I was sad because she is my last baby and she is growing up so fast but I was happy because I knew she was ready and that she would love it.

She attended 3 days per week from 9 to noon and it was a great introduction to being away from mom and making friends.  She was only there 8 weeks before it was time for summer break but it was definitely a good decision to start her even though it was late in the year.  I won't lie and say that it was a smooth experience because it wasn't.  There were some definite bumps in the road but I am happy to have worked through them at the end of this year and not at the beginning of next year.

I like the teacher and her teachers aides whom she will thankfully have again next year.  I do not care much for the school administrator/principal and I know that she and I will probably continue to clash over issues.  We had two major issues the first week regarding the drop off location and pick up location.  Thankfully, I was able to show a valid reason why it was in Annabelle's best interest that I drop her off each morning at the classroom door and NOT all the way across campus like they had me do the first two days.  Although this is the designated drop off location it was WAY too far for Annabelle who tends to walk slow most of the time.  Their solution was to put her in a stroller to keep her with the rest of the class.  I was not okay with that since Annabelle can walk.  I also made arrangements to pick her up at the classroom door instead of all the way across campus so that I could immediately take her to the restroom to catheterize her.  By 12:15 when school lets out she is overdue and we made the decision to not let the school aide cath her.  Once she is in school for the longer day I will demand that it is done by the school nurse and hopefully by that time she will be close to learning how to cath herself.

In the 8 weeks she was there she met 3 out of her 5 IEP goals - yay!  The 3 goals she did not meet were gross motor related so that wasn't too surprising.  I had mixed feeling if I wanted her to attend summer school or not but she did not qualify so it became a non-issue.  I was told that only kids that were behind were able to go.  I know she liked school but I know she enjoys playtime at home with her brothers and I way more so I guess it all worked out as it should.

School starts up again in September and although I know she will have fun I am not looking forward to the "drop off" tears as I call them.  Thankfully, when she did cry (which wasn't ever day) it was only a brief wimper and was done as soon as she walked into class but it still made me a little sad until pick up.

1 comment: